Sunday, April 29, 2007

In the Land of Women

In the Land of Women (PG-13) 97 minutes B-

Starring Adam Brody, Kristen Stewart, Meg Ryan, Olympia Dukakis, Makenzie Vega, Elena Anaya, Clark Gregg, and JoBeth Williams

Carter Web (Brody) is a 26 year old L.A. screenwriter. He has just been dumped by his beautiful movie star girlfriend and he desperately needs to get away. Carter decides to go to Michigan to care for his ailing grandmother (Dukakis), focus on his writing, and "regroup". Once he arrives it doesn't take long before he is befriended by Sarah (Ryan), a forty something MILF, and Sarah's pencil thin teenage daughter, Lucy (Stewart).

Sarah is married, and by most standards, too old for Carter. Lucy is jail bait, plain and simple. Yet the vulnerable Carter finds himself smack dab in the middle of some heavy family drama.

...Land of Women manages to never get too cutesy, nor does it seem to ever take itself too seriously. It's a little predictable and a little sappy, but overall I was pleasantly surprised by its charm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my weekend... well it was a pretty good one. I watched 4 hours of the NFL draft on Saturday, did some yard work, cleaned my closet, did some laundry, went to dinner, watched the Nuggets game, played some pool and enjoyed a few spirits at the local tavern.

Last night I had some really weird dreams and this morning I woke up not knowing what day it was and I had no concept of time.

I dreamt that I had a roommate (who happened to be gay), and I stumbled upon one of his homemade sex tapes (on VHS) . It was pretty hardcore stuff with multiple partners, but as I watched I was totally unfazed by what I had discovered. I left the tape playing and went to my bedroom to put away my laundry. My roommate came home early and was surprised to see his sex tape playing when he walked in. He was pissed! And basically the dreamed ended with me apologizing and expecting him to kick me out.

The other dream was- I caught a kid spray painting graffiti (very artistically actually) on my backyard fence. I held the kid hostage and called 911, but the cops never showed up. I yelled loudly at the kid, making a big scene so that all my neighbors would notice that I had captured the neighborhood tagger. After awhile the kid's brother and a bunch of his gang banger buddies arrived, and I let the kid go and begged them not to shoot me.

I ate some pretty weird crap before bed last night. Among them was a dirty burrito I bought from some guy at the bar. He said it had potatoes and Mexican spaghetti in it. Hell... he had me at potatoes. It was tasty (and I wasn't even that drunk).

No comments: