Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Date Night - Movie Review

Date Night (PG-13) 88 minutes C
Pleasant date with little spark.

Starring Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco, Leighton Meester, Common, Taraji Henson, Taraji Henson, Kristen Wiig, Ray Liotta, Mila Kunis, Mark Ruffalo, Olivia Munn, and William Fichtner

I like Steve Carell, I like Tina Fey. I liked the way this movie began (slightly funny with serious overtones) and I liked the premise- a bored married couple has their run-of-the-mill relationship turned upside down after a deadly night out on the town. The result, they realize how much they love each other blah, blah, blah.

In his review Roger Ebert wrote "Phil (Carrell) and Claire (Fey) seem like the kind of people who don't belong in a screwball comedy. That's why it's funny." In my opinion that's why the movie is average at best...well, that and the ridiculous car chase action scenes.

I wanted to like Date Night but it eventually goes terribly wrong and if not for Carrell and Fey this would have been amateur hour at the movies.

No comments: