Sunday, June 13, 2010

First Impression Music Reviews

I'm a little behind with my "First Impression" music reviews so here's a quick and dirty run down of old and new music I've acquired in the last 3 - 4 months.

Pernice Brothers - Goodbye, Killer A
Release Date: June 15, 2010
It’s extremely catchy, instantly gratifying and smart- maybe their best album yet.

Avett Brothers - I and Love and You C-
Release Date: September 29, 2009
I can’t explain it, these guys are talented but don’t appeal to me.

Bettie Seveert - Pharmacy of Love B
Release Date: March 23, 2010
My favorite and most underrated Dutch indie rock band delivers another solid album.

Tracey Thorn - Love and its Opposite B-
Release Date: May 18, 2010
I love the concept (Thorn has been quoted as saying it's "a record about the person I am now and the people around me ... about real life after forty.") yet the album has been a slow burn that grows on me with each listen.

Jay-Z - Vol. 3: Life and Times of S. Carter C+
Release Date: December 28, 1999
I have yet to find a Jay-Z album I love from beginning to end.

KRS-One - Adventures in Emceein B-
Release Date: February 19, 2008
It sounds like old school BDP despite getting bogged down from time to time with too much filler.

Cassandra Wilson - Traveling Miles C+
Release Date: March 23, 1999
A nice album that will not disturb the peace.

Pete Yorn – Live from New Jersey C+
Release Date: September 23 2004
I’ve seen Yorn in concert twice. The first time was phenomenal and the second time... not so much. This live album is more like the second time.

No comments: