Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rock Crowd Put Your Arms Around Me (Music Review)

First Impression Music Review
Pete Yorn - Pete Yorn B-
Release date: September 28, 2010
Could Pete Yorn have come up with a less original album cover and album title? And what about the second track on the album- Rock Crowd? The first time I heard it I thought it could be the cheesiest song he'd ever written.

My first spin of PY left me feeling less than impressed but Yorn has an uncanny way and growing on me and really getting under my skin. After about 4 or 5 listens I can't get Rock Crowd out of my head even though I still think it sounds a little cheesy.

I read that he recorded the album while fighting the flu, knowing this gives the album an element of suffering yet determination. Sorta like Game 5 of the 1997 NBA championship between the Utah Jazz and Chicago Bulls when Jordan had the flu but still managed a very memorable 38 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals. PY may not be that remarkable but it has its moments.

Favorite tracks- Precious Stone, Velcro Shoes, Stronger Than & Future Life

No comments: