Thursday, March 8, 2012

Catch and Release - First Impression Music Review

Sinead O'Connor - How About I Be Me (And You Be You)? B+
Release Date - February 2012 

Fresh from the tabloid hell, Sinead O'Connor is back!  How About I Be Me finds the infamous singer hopeful, angry and introspective.  Musically, the album doesn't break any new ground, but lyrically it's on point.  It plays like a living, breathing, piece of art that imitates O'Connor's recent past (I love the confessional self-exploration), and one that is more of a rebirth than a comeback.  It's easily one of my favorite albums of 2012 so far.  My favorite tracks include: Reason With Me, The Wolf is Getting Married, V.I.P and the John Grant cover Queen of Denmark.   

Lyle Lovett - Release Me C
Release Date - February 2012 
Lovett is a musical icon, and a personal favorite. But, Release Me, with its 12 covers and 2 originals, sounds a little phoned in.  Apparently, it's the last album of his contractual obligation with with Curb Records (see album title and cover art).  The album isn't without some outstanding moments- Girl With The Holiday Smile is among his catchiest ditties ever.  While, his cover of John Grimaudo and Saylor White's Dress of Laces is achingly beautiful, it stood me still the first time I heard it.  Yet, Release Me is more filler than substance.  To quote Josh Langhoff of PopMatters, "This album isn't good, but it has good intentions.  My favorites include the two aforementioned tracks, and Night's Lullaby.

No comments: