Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Darkness & The Light (Music Reviews)

First Impression Music Reviews

Xiu Xiu - Always B
Released March 2012

Tennis - Young & Old B+ 
I like Xiu Xiu, and I like their music.  But with each album comes an abrasiveness that always takes a little getting use too ("I Luv Abortion").  Nevertheless, the songs eventually win me over and I can't wait until the next release.  Xiu Xiu is one of the most interesting and intriguing acts in music.  Always is one of their more accessible albums, featuring a few songs that could be radio hits if they ever saw the light of day.   Favorite Tracks - Hi, Smear the Queen, Honey-Suckle, The Oldness      
February 2012
Young and Old came as a bit of a surprise.  I happen to hear it streaming for free around the time of its release, it caught me ear and never let go.  This is one of my favorite albums of 2012 so far.  It's sugar sweet pop that's infectious, dreamy and groovy- a near perfect summer soundtrack.  Favorite Tracks - It All Feels the Same, Petition, Vegas (Bonus Track)         

No comments: