Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rock of Ages - Movie Review

Rock of Ages (PG-13) 123 minutes D
Aside from a few toe tappers, forget about it

Starring Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Malin Akerman, Mary J. Blige, Bryan Cranston, Alec Baldwin, Tom Cruise, Will Forte, Erica Frene and Angelo Valderrama

Believe me, I really wanted to like this film.  But, this piece of over-produced fluff is gag worthy.  Hey, I got nothing against the hair bands of the 80s, some of that music plays like the soundtrack to my middle school years.  Yet, Rock of Ages is like a bad SNL skit set to music.  Film critic Rex Reed called it the worse film he has seen since "Battlefield Earth and Howard the Duck," and he went on to say that Rock of Ages is so bad it makes Burlesque look like an under appreciated masterpiece."  Maybe I should've paid $8.50 to read Rex Reed's review, it was much more entertaining than the film.

No comments: