Friday, August 10, 2007

The Bourne Ultimatum - Movie Review & Eric Schaeffer at the Tattered Cover

The Bourne Ultimatum (PG-13) 111 minutes C+
"Still Bourne"

Starring Matt Damon, Julia Stiles, Chris Cooper, Brian Cox, Joan Allen, David Strathairn, Scott Glenn, and Albert Finney

If you like action you'll love this film. It is no easy feat to make a series of three films, and have each one better than its' predecessor. I thought that the second film (Bourne Supremacy) was better than the first film (Bourne Identity), although both are very good. Bourne Ultimatum has been touted as the best sequel and one of the best films of the year. So perhaps my expectations were a little high...

The Bourne Ultimatum is a non-stop thrill ride without heart. I'm not saying I want some cheesy love story incorporated into the plot, but this latest edition is nothing more than see Bourne run, see Bourne kick some ass, see Bourne run some more. And really... how many windows can this man jump through? Car crashes he can survive? Roof tops he can jump from? All without major injury... I expect this from Batman or Spiderman, but not Jason Bourne.

This isn't a bad film by any means, but the bar was set pretty high with the first two Bourne films. Frankly, at times I was a little bored... Matt Damon is a great actor, but it might be time to put Bourne to rest...

********************************************************************************

In other news... Last night was truly memorable. I met triple threat (writer, director, actor) Eric Schaeffer. Mr Schaeffer has written, directed and/or acted in over 30 films and television shows. Most notably- Spanglish, One Night at McCool's, If Lucy Fell, and Starved (TV series).

He has written a new memoir called I Can't Believe I'm Still Single, and last night I was lucky enough not only to catch his reading at the Tattered Cover, but also be filmed for his new documentary. Actually the entire audience was filmed, but I did get a chance to talk to Mr. Schaeffer about some of his favorite films and Woody Allen. You see, we're BFF now (Best F*cking Friends).

Anyway, he is the most down to earth celebrity I've ever met, and is second only to Jennifer Weiner for best reading I've ever attended.

After briefly discussing Woody Allen's groundbreaking 2002 film Husbands and Wives (my personal favorite), Mr. Schaeffer shook my hand (twice), thanked me for coming and thanked me for asking "great" questions.

A message to my BFF - Rock on dude! I can't wait to read your book and see the documentary... hopefully at Sundance!

No comments: