Monday, October 15, 2007

Either/Or

I am a sucker for a good coupon! The latest coupon I received from Borders Rewards was- buy up to 3 cds for $11.99 each... That's any 3 (single disc) cd's in the store! Not bad considering that a regular cd can cost upwards of $18.99 these days.

So I went to Borders during my lunch hour and bought David Gray - Life in Slow Motion (regularly $18.99). The David Gray cd is a dual disc, but it's technically still one disc... so I saved $7. I also bought Elliot Smith - Either/Or (regularly $15.99). Now I have all the Elliot Smith solo albums except for Roman Candle. Either/Or has been critically praised as his best album, the All Music Guide gave it 5 out of 5 diamonds and called it the best album in his discography. I'm listening to it right now and it sounds amazing.

I've always liked Elliot Smith, and since his death I like him even more. All the heartfelt pain he sang about was real, he lived it. For me that makes the music extremely genuine and consequential. I guess Lash was right, I do like sad bastard music.

Being a Borders Reward Member is one of the best deals around. It cost nothing to join, you get lots of coupons, and you earn store credit with each purchase. Over the last two years I have earned enough credit to get a free cd or two. It's kind of like buying 10 burritos and getting the 11th one free.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."
-George Bernard Shaw

No comments: