Saturday, November 17, 2007

West 36th Ave, Sayonara!

Today I said good-bye to the old house on West 36th Ave... my first house. It was a good starter home I suppose. I learned a lot. I thought I would live there for a long long time, but life has a way of throwing curve balls.

When I walked out the door for the final time, I turned and looked around... I saw highlights and low lights from the last two years and four months.

The old house encapsulated a lot of my personality. It was an underdog from day one. It was (and still is) a work in progress, and despite its uniqueness it remains an acquired taste. The first meal I ever ate in that house was the last meal I eat today- Sesame Chicken from China Dragon (Chinese takeout).

Right now I'm listening Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth. This is such a beautiful and introspective album. I think that every song on this album is perfect except for one, Church. That is the one and only song on the entire album I don't like (my apologies to Paul, I think I told you I liked that song).

Songs like She's Already Made Up Her Mind and She's Leaving Me Because She Really Wants To are so tragically beautiful. While the tunes North Dakota and Flyswatter/Ice Water Blues transcends place and time and takes me to another corner of my imagination. Pretty amazing stuff!

Finally, we had a yard sale today. We sold more stuff than I expected we would, the biggest surprise being all the books we sold. RW's old books were a popular attraction. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up in a used book store around town next week. As for my stuff, I'm always surprised that any one would be interested in my old junk... but I managed to make $30. That's about $30 more than I expected to make today.

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well." - Lewis Mumford

No comments: