Saturday, November 29, 2008

Milk - Movie Review

Milk (R) 128 minutes B
My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Starring Sean Penn, James Franco, Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsch, Diego Luna, Victor Garber, and Denis O'Hare, Stephen Spinella

As a film, Milk has more substance than Slumdog Millionaire (my previous review), but it didn't captivate me quite as much as Slumdog did. That's probably because I already knew how Milk would end. The film is based on Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be voted into major public office in America. After several failed candidacies and being on the front lines in the fight for gay rights, Milk was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977.

Milk is not only entertaining, but for me, it was educational. I discovered an inspirational figure who I probably wouldn't have known about otherwise. He was courageous, charismatic, and enhanced the lives of many (not just the gay community). Sean Penn (plays Harvey Milk) is as good as advertised, and he definitely gives an Oscar-caliber performance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't forget James Franco...really good as well!!

Curtis said...

You're right, he was also very good in this film.