Thursday, April 16, 2009

Burn Hollywood (Records) Burn, Indigo Girls Deliver Impressive New Album


First Impression Review
Indigo Girls - Poseidon And The Bitter Bug B+

I've always liked the Indigo Girls, they are one of the most consistent and underrated acts in music history. You always know what you're going to get with the IGs but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

For twenty plus years Amy and Emily have been at it, yet they still write some of the most emotionally stunning and relevant lyrics in music. Poseidon and the Bitter Bug is a very pleasant album that builds with each track. Here's my album play by play:

Track 1 - Digging For Your Dream
Nice opening track- a toe tapper. I like this song more every time I listen to it.

Track 2 - Sugar Tongue
At first listen I thought this was the album's biggest misstep. But it has grown on me with each listen... Now I kind of like it.

Track 3 - Love of our Lives
I didn't like the title of this track so much. But here you'll find that signature IG harmony.

Track 4 - Driver Education
This is one of those tracks that is sure to be a crowd favorite on tour. The opening lyrics are great "I fell for guys who tried to commit suicide/With soft rock hair and blood shot eyes"

Track 5 - I'll Change
The first track on the album to make my heart feel something. "One day I'll change, you'll be the first one I call"

Track 6 - Second Time Around
I really love this song. It has the best and most memorable lyrics of all the tracks. My current favorite.

Track 7 - What Are You Like
A bouncy, catchy track

Track 8 - Ghost of the Gang
Amy Ray has grit. This is the second track in which Amy Ray opens with the theme of dudes & a death.

Track 9 - Fleet of Hope
Emily delivers the pretty songs... This is one of them. I'm holding up my lighter as I type this.

Track 10 - True Romantic
Possibly my least favorite track on the album... but it's not horrible.

Note - The Indigo Girls were dropped from their record label in 2007- Hollywood Records. The subject title of this post is a clever/sarcastic play on words recalling Public Enemy's popular song Burn Hollywood Burn and the famous last words of that song "F*ck Hollywood!" I believe that in many ways PE and the IGs are kindred spirits.

No comments: