Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sounds So Good When I Listen (A Music Review)

First Impression Music Review
Joe Pernice - It Feels So Good When I Stop (Novel Soundtrack) B+

I always thought it would be cool to write a novel and create a "novel soundtrack". Well, it's been done and who better to do it than luminary musician Joe Pernice.

Many of you know him from his band the Pernice Brothers or perhaps the Scud Mountain Boys, but Pernice is also a talented writer/poet with a MFA from UMass.

Somehow this novel and its companion soundtrack fail off my radar and I didn't find out about this exciting development until a few weeks ago. I've yet to read the novel (it's in the mail) but I'm happy to report that the novel's soundtrack is very cool.

The soundtrack consists of cover songs that Pernice successfully makes his own and one original song from a fictional band called The Young Accuser. The standout tracks include "Found a Little Baby" (Plush cover), "Tell Me When It's Over" (The Dream Syndicate cover), "Chevy Van" (Sammy Johns cover) and "Hello it's Me" (Todd Rundgren cover).

No comments: