Monday, March 15, 2010

The Life & Times of a Material Girl (Book Review)

Pretty In Plaid: A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, Or the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomanical, Self-Centered Smart Ass Phase by Jen Lancaster B-
I read her blog and watched her book trailers. Jen Lancaster is witty, funny and cute; some have even called her the female David Sedaris. Yet as I made my way through the beginning of Pretty in Plaid I was afraid that it might not be to my liking.

In this, her fourth memoir, Lancaster takes us from the pre-teen years as a smart-ass fashionista through the college years as a smarter, smart-ass fashionista.

At first I was slightly put off by her bratty, materialistic, egomaniac rants, but as her life unfolded I became more and more entrenched in her world of fashion, crappy jobs, frustrating parents and dreading Mondays. Even the Sex and the City stuff was a nice parallel.

PIP got better as it went along and by the end I was definitely wanting more. The epilogue was especially intriguing because this was my first foray into Jennsylvania. I'm curious about how she became a writer and how she got rich (and lost it all?) during the dot.com boom.

Since this is a prequel to Bitter is the New Black I guess that memoir will be my next adventure to J-Town... and I'm looking forward to the bratty, materialistic, egomaniac rants, not to mention more inspiration.

No comments: