Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pretty Girls With Guitars (Concert Review)

Katie Herzig w/Megan Burtt B+
@ the Walnut Room 7/8/10

RW has been raving about this Katie Herzig since she saw her open for Brandi Carlile this past January. The singer-songwriter grew up in Fort Collins and went to school at the University of Colorado in Boulder before moving to Nashville four years ago. It had been a long time since I've gone to a rock show to see a headlining artist I'm completely unfamiliar with but tonight I was up to the challenge.

The opening act was a personable and talented singer named Megan Burtt. Burtt struck me as a somewhat typical female singer-songwriter with an acoustic guitar- she played well, sounded nice, looked good and had a few standout songs. Yet in a field saturated with artists who can do just that she pulled off a nice opening set but nothing that motivated me to explore her further.

Herzig on the other hand is everything Burtt is not, granted, Herzig was accompanied by two outstanding musicians (Claire Indie & Jordan Brooke Hamlin) who added depth and richness to her songs.

First thing that stood out about Herzig was how her tiny voice effortlessly filled the room and made for a perfect companion to her quirky, rustic, modern/yet classic sound and lyrics. Even though I didn’t know any of the songs almost all of them hooked me immediately (especially a song called "Hologram" which sounded unbelievably powerful live/acoustic)

She has a nice stage presence that evokes a serious musician passionate about her craft, a quiet confidence and subtle sense of humor. I was very impressed tonight and I'm expecting greater things to come from Herzig.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.