Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inception - Movie Review

Inception (PG-13) 148 minutes D-
Wake me when it's over

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger, and Michael Caine

I applaud director Christopher Nolan for trying to make a dark, complex and innovative film but in my opinion he totally misses the mark. Many friends and critics loved Inception (and more power to ya!), I on the other hand didn’t understand what was happening nor did I care.

I wanted to like it, after all, it had been called the ultimate "mind f*ck". Yet I disliked this film from the start. It felt disingenuous and reminiscent of an issue of GQ magazine; full of high fashion, smug expressions and slicked back hair.

Quarterbacking the film is Leonardo DiCaprio, he delivers one of the most insincere performances of his career. Even the Keanu Reeves-like Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the adorable Ellen Page couldn't save what critic Rex Reed called “pretentious perplexity”.

A 148 minute hodgepodge of corporate espionage, extracting dreams, unfinished business with the dead, secrets of a dying father, endless high speed chases, gun fights and slow motion action scenes... what's so dreamy about that!

Inception is easily the most disappointing f*ck of the year.

3 comments:

Nobo said...

Thank you! Apparently, I've seen the same two films as you in the last week. I didn't hate this one nearly as much as you, and I didn't love the other nearly as much. However, I will say that I thought the acting and the writing in Inception were crap. So, what else is left? Okay, the visuals were nice, and there were some interesting story elements. But that wasn't enough to dig it out of its hole.

RW said...

I just felt like this movie's sole purpose was to make me feel stupid or at least "not smart enough" to get it. Annoying.

PeteNam said...

I also didn't see what was so "mind blowing." Left the movie feeling underwhelmed. The cinematography and special effects were cool, but everything else felt hackneyed.