Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Good vs Evil in the Garden of Kim (Book Review)

Lucifer at the Starlite by Kim Addonizio B-
Publication Date: August 2009

The first time I saw/heard Kim Addonizio read poetry it blew me away.  She was unlike anything I had experienced before.  Her writing was brash, sexy, raw, and 100% unpretentious.  Furthermore, she delivered it with style and verve that indicated she lived it, been there and done that.  I remember thinking at the time, "this woman should be as popular as any female singer who has ever written a hit love song."

After that, I read more of her work, bought a couple of her books, corresponded (once) via email, and I even bought her hybrid music-poetry CD, Swearing, Smoking, Drinking, & Kissing. She is a tremendous talent. However, I did not think this collection lived up to its full potential. Lucifer at the Starlite definitely has its moments, but overall it didn't consistently grab me and pull me in.

No comments: