Friday, June 24, 2011

Sobule, So cool (Concert Review)

Jill Sobule @ Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret B

Denver's own Jill Sobule made her annual stop at Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret tonight, and as usual the multi-talented singer-songwriter did not disappoint.  Each time I see her I can't understand why people aren't lining up down the block to see her perform.  Yet, I am always surprised at the amount of people who scream "I Kissed A Girl" when Jill asks for requests.  It's still a great song, and damn you Katy Perry for stealing her thunder.  But my god, Jill Sobule has made so much great music since that 1995 hit (the original "I Kissed A Girl"), it's a crying shame that people don't know or appreciate her impressive catalog of music.

Highlights from tonight include the acoustic rendition of "Bitter" from her 1997 album, Happy Town.  A brand new song http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/jill-sobule-sings-netroots-they-sa-0 called, "They Say They Want Our America Back" that I absolutely, positively, can't get out of my head.  As well as a cover version (featuring her mother) of Nelly's "Hot in Here".  I'm already looking forward to her visit next year.

No comments: