Saturday, July 2, 2011

Catching up on First Impression Music Reviews

Thurston Moore - Demolished Thoughts B-
Release Date: May 24, 2011
This is a mellow album.  Much has been made about it being produced by Beck.  However, this album lacks the accessibility of Beck's 2002 mellow masterpiece, Sea Change (I can't help but assume that's what Moore was going for).  Demolished Thoughts is a little bit of a grower, but it's definitely introspective.  This album would be a perfect companion on a long drive, a dark road, and miles of nothingness... or slitting your wrists.  Highlights - "Benediction", "In Silver Rain with a Paper Key" & "Mina Loy" 

TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light C+
Release Date: April 12, 2011
I will admit, the first time I listened to this album I thought, "what the f*ck!" I was expecting a catchy, immediately accessible, phenomenal follow-up to Dear Science.  Initially, the first half of Nine Types of Light didn't grab me at all.  While the second half struck me as some sort of curiously addicting Cameo (the band) revival.  Fortunately, the album continues to grow on me with each additional listen. Highlights - "Caffeinated Consciousness" & "New Cannonball Blues"

Duncan Sheik - Covers 80s C+
Release Date: June 7, 2011
I normally don't like cover albums.  Although, I think it's cool when an artists covers a song and either makes it their own, or stays so true to the original that there is no drop off.  Unfortunately, most artist can't sustain the latter for an entire album. Hence, the latest by Duncan Sheik, an 80's cover album.  Previously I heard Sheik cover Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" (a trendy choice but excellent nonetheless), D-Mode's "Blasphemous Rumors" and The Smith's "Reel Around the Fountain", all with good results.  So why the hell are those songs missing from Covers 80sHighlights - "Stay", "William It Was Really Nothing" & "The Ghost in You"

Nas - Hip Hop is Dead  B+
Release Date: December 19, 2006
Vibe magazine called it "disorienting and sometimes brilliant", I agree wholeheartedly.  I am really starting to like Nas, yet the album that most consider his magnum opus, 1994's Illmatic, is still a head scratchier to me.  Highlights - "Black Republican", "Hip Hop is Dead" & "Carry on Tradition"


Julie Doiron - Loneliest in the Morning B
Release Date: August 26, 1997
So what if she sounds like a million other female singer-songwriters with an acoustic guitar.  She writes a damn good song!  Each song sounds similar to the next, yet they still stand on their own.  I'm curious about the rest of her catalog.  Highlights - "Explain", "Sorry Part 1" & "Sorry Part 2"

No comments: