Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Colorado Proud! Jeni Olin Strikes a Nerve & Keeps on Truckin (Book Review)

Hold Tight: The Truck Darling Poems - Jeni Olin  B+
Publication Date: May 2010

Hold Tight: The Truck Darling Poems are wild, crazy and unpredictable. I love the images these poems evoke and the way Olin's words crash and burn with fearlessness. In the poem Welcome To Costco. I Love You, Olin delivers the catchiest line of poetry I've heard in a long time-"downing pale ales & downy pale males". While Closer, one of my favorite pieces from this collection, brilliantly captures her wit and vulnerability with precision- "touching each other professionally until it hurts just right."

Jeni Olin earned her BA and MFA degrees from Naropa University (Boulder, CO). I recently read that she has changed her name to Truck Darling.

No comments: