Saturday, September 17, 2011

First Impression Reviews - Another Girl, Hot Sauce & a Sabor Tooth Tiger... Oh My!

Juliana Hatfield - There's Always Another Girl C+
Release Date August 2011

I really want to like this one, but so far I haven't been able to sink my teeth into it.  As soon as I read that the album's central theme was failure, the title track was inspired by Lindsay Lohan, and the project was initially called Speeches Delivered to Animals and Plants, I was uber-excited to hear these songs.  Unfortunately, this has been a slow burn with only one song standing out so far, and a few others bubbling under.  Favorite tracks - Someone Else's Problem and Thousands of Guitars

Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 B
Release Date: May 2011

A playful and fun party record that I haven't taken too seriously.  Lots of old school hooks and clever beats.  It occasionally sounds cluttered, but ultimately satisfies.  File under: Sounds like summer, smells like cayenne pepper.  Favorite tracks - Lee Majors Come Again and Nonstop Disco Powerpack
  
Sean Lennon & Charlotte Kemp Muhl - Ghost of a Sabor Tooth Tiger: Acoustic Sessions D+
Release Date: October 2010

I like Sean Lennon, I was excited to see he had a new project, but this one is nothing more than boring background music.  Favorite track - Rainbows in Gasoline

No comments: