Sunday, September 18, 2011

Higher Ground - Movie Review

Higher Ground (R) 109 minutes A-
Losing my religion and reaching a higher (emotional) ground

Starring Vera Farmiga, Joshua Leonard, Norbert Leo Butz, McKenzie Turner and Donna Murphy

This film is based on the 2002 memoir, This Dark World: A Memoir of Salvation Found and Lost by Carolyn S. Briggs.  This film really struck a chord with me; it almost brought me to tears.  It reminds me of the Counting Crows song, "Rain King," and the lyrics to that song best encapsulates the film:

When I think of heaven (Deliver me in a black-winged bird)
I think of flying down into a sea of pens and feathers
and all other instruments of faith and sex and God
In the belly of a black-winged bird
Don't try to feed me
I've been here before and I deserve a little more


I recommend this film to general moviegoers, and anyone who has ever questioned religion and/or spirituality.

No comments: