Monday, December 26, 2011

Out of the Fireplace and into the Fire (Book Review)

Out of This Furnace - Thomas Bell B
Publication Date: September 1941 (reissued June 1976) 

Now that I have finished Out of This Furnace, I feel like I should work harder and love smarter. This multigenerational novel explores the plight of Slovak Immigrants from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. It's an eye opening look at their history, dreams and desires. Bell's novel (which is based on real-life events) exposes the early origins of America's cheap labor addiction.

This was my first foray into historical fiction, and I found these characters to be simple, yet inspirational. I was moved by their relationships, friendships and family dynamics. I was appalled by the evils that constantly threatened to ruin their dreams, take their lives, and keep them in a continuous cycle of poverty.

Out of This Furnace is as much about love as it is about the hardship of immigration; it's an easy read that will surprise you.

No comments: