Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ruby Sparks - Movie Review

Ruby Sparks (R) 104 minutes B+
Letting the Sparks Fly

Starring Paul Dano, Zoe Kazan, Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas and Chris Messina

Once I got past the whimsical premise of a writer falling in love with his own fictional creation, and that fictional creation coming to life in his apartment, I really liked this film.  It felt original and creative.  I usually like films about struggling writers who find their muse, but this film provides a whole new spin on that theme.  By the end, I found myself completely immersed in Ruby Sparks.  It is amazing how love can be so magical (in the beginning), yet derail so easily. 

I can see this becoming a minor sensation at the box office.  It reminded me of two other films, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Being John Malkovich.  I actually liked this film more than the former, but less than the latter.  Ruby Sparks is an impressive script written by 28 year-old Zoe Kazan, who plays Ruby opposite her real life beau, Paul Dano.

No comments: