Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Punk Singer - Movie Review

The Punk Singer (NR) 80 minutes A-
Rebel Girl

Starring: Kathleen Hanna, Carrie Brownstein, Kim Gordon, Joan Jett, Adam Horovitz

Watching Sini Anderson's documentary The Punk Singer made me happy, because it reminded how much art matters.  It also made me feel regretful, because I wish I'd possessed the passion and the drive to pursue art when I was younger.  The Punk Singer follows the evolution of punk rock feminist Kathleen Hanna, from little girl to riot grrrl, to her battle with late-stage Lyme disease.  Hanna may or may not come to mind when you think of influential feminist icons.  But, there's no denying that when she talked you could hear the revolution and where she walked you knew the revolution was coming. 

I wanna be her best friend. 

No comments: