Saturday, April 16, 2016

Dark Sparkler - Book Review

Published April 2015
Dark Sparkler - Amber Tamblyn A

"Not a word of Dark Sparkler is poetic in the foolish and flowery sense." ~ Diane di Prima

I loved this book. It's original, provocative, witty and surprisingly humorous. This is the kind of book I wish I had written. The kind of idea/theme I wish I had thought of. But, as it turned out, Amber Tamblyn nailed it. Dark Sparkler is the third and latest collection of poetry by Tamblyn, which also includes original art work by David Lynch, Sage Vaughn, Marilyn Manson and others. The book explores a dark side of Hollywood glitz via the deaths of numerous young actresses - some famous, some not so famous. Tamblyn, a well-known actress and underrated poet, handles this subject matter with keen insight and distinctive flare. She documents her own struggles and intertwines them with those of the deceased. Based on everything I know about the objectification of women in Hollywood, this book feels fiercely authentic and curiously enlightening. These dark minded poems have universal appeal that even non-poetry readers could appreciate.

No comments: