Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Kimya brings her Hidden Vagenda to Denver


Kimya Dawson Live at the Bluebird 4/22/08

I assume that most people know the name Kimya Dawson from her work on the Juno Soundtrack. But what most people are missing is that she is a very talented and funny artist (beyond the Juno stuff).

Last night RW and I had the privilege of seeing her perform live at the Bluebird.

Chicago Nobo warned us that this might be an exercise in patience; two hours of cutesy acoustic anti-folk could grow tiresome. But it wasn't so much that, as the heat and the standing that hampered my enjoyment of the show.

But hey, it's all rocknroll and it is what it is. It's not the first time I've perspired like a fat man in hell and stood so long that my feet felt like they would fall off... and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Kimya was charming and childlike at times. She definitely has the cutesy thing going for her, but what I like about her most is her brutally honest lyrics and melancholy dark side.

She did sing a few songs from her upcoming album, Alphabutt, which she calls a "children's album". But I'm not sure if it's a children's album in the traditional sense...? I mean, on one song she sang about not shaving her "hair down there". Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it... Nevertheless the songs she sang from that album (and all her material for that matter) was catchy as all get out, and undeniably witty and charismatic.

Overall the show was pretty good despite the sweatshop-like conditions. It was a young, Juno-esque crowd (16 and over), which provided the benefit of no line at the bar for beer, no tinkle line for the bathroom, and no visible puke or puking was seen. Very nice.

No comments: