Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Case For Getting Lucky


Neko Case - Middle Cyclone B
Maneater

The latest from Neko is not without the expectations... especially since Diddlefinger, who always gets advanced copies of all the dope sh*t claims that Middle Cyclone is among Neko's best work. I wondered, can she top my personal favorite, Furnace Room Lullaby- an album so tragically beautiful it makes me want to drive all night to an uncertain destination with a hopeful conclusion...

Cyclone lives up to expectations, and it occurs to me during my initial listening that Neko Case and PJ Harvey have a lot in common. Their music posses a certain feminine mystic that is extremely intriguing, borderline creepy, and intensely sensual, heartfelt and sexy.

One thing I have to admit about Neko Case albums is that their slow burns. I can usually tell right away whether or not I like them, but I never know if I like them-like them until that introspective night when I'm sitting in my room with an open mind, thinking about sh*t yet not thinking about sh*t, my mind is a void of regurgitated thought, I feel creative and open to creation, when all of sudden it hits me - "my mood to burn bridges parallels my mood to dig ditches".
-Favorite track - Magpie to the Morning

Chris Isaak - Mr. Lucky B
California's finest crooner is still blue

I read once that you always know what you're going to get with a Chris Isaak record, and to a certain extinct that's true. But no matter how similar each new album may or may not be I love them all the same. His lonesome, unlucky-in-love persona never gets old to me.

When you look and sound like Isaak, you'd think that women are throwing panties at him every night on tour... and maybe they are. But something in his baritone and his lyrics leads me to believe that underneath the movie star good looks and his playful personality is a pensive soul still searching for that ultimate T-shirt girl.
-Favorite track - You Don't Cry Like I Do

No comments: