Saturday, March 7, 2009

In Dreams

In dreams I've heard that people, animals, and objects often symbolize other people, animals, and objects. Last night I dreamt that I had a rambunctious and beautiful young daughter. One morning as I was getting dressed for work I discovered that she had urinated on the floor next to the toilet. This worried me because 1.) she was 4 or 5 years old and knew how to use the potty, 2.) it was a sign that she was sick and could die, 3.) I was worried it would ruin the colorful (red, brown, and green) astro turf we had in our bathroom.

I loved my daughter (who doesn't have a name) dearly. Once I discover the pee, I confronted her and she immediately began urinating all over the house and all over herself. I pick her up and rushed her off to another bathroom in the house. She was peeing uncontrollably and laughing... yet almost crying. You would think that the pee is toxic by the way I'm reacting to it. I desperately didn't want to get any on my clothes because I feared that the smell and stain would be permanent.

I stood her up in the bathtub, fully clothed and turned on the water. She was afraid and upset at first but then reconsiders- "it's play time!" she smiled a crocked smile. I made the water bubbly with baby bubble bath. She sits, she stands, she splashes, she squirts soap into her hands and tries to eat it (note- in my dreams people often change faces, appearances, and age. In this case my daughter is all of a sudden younger and chubbier).

At this moment, I realized how much I love my daughter and how much I didn't want to be without her. So I say to her as the tears crept from my eyes, "I don't want you to be sick, I don't want you to pee on the floor, is there anything I could do to help you stop?" Then I remembered that I needed to call work and tell them I would be late.

When I awoke from this dream, my cat was crawling on my chest, starring me dead in the face. Almost immediately I realized that my daughter in the dream symbolized Monty (my old, chubby, rambunctious cat). Fortunately, Monty has never urinated outside his litter box, but when/if he does urinate somewhere other than his box I worry that it could signify the beginning of the end.

No comments: