Saturday, March 7, 2009

Klosterman & Fatsis Book Reviews

Chuck Klosterman - IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas A-

Klosterman is the king of pop (culture). He's the Jerry Seinfield of authors; funny, witty, and knows a lot about nothing. Yet, he makes any room smarter as soon as he walks through the door. Klosterman is the only writer I know who can write intriguingly about the drools of pop culture- i.e. trashy reality television, 80's hair bands, women falling from the sky, etc... and still make it sound vitally important.

Stefan Fatsis - A Few Seconds of Panic: A 5-Foot-8, 170-Pound, 43-Year-Old Sportswriter Plays in the NFL B+

I bought this book for a couple of good friends and fellow Bronco fans. I never like forcing a read on anyone, but despite the slow start A Few Seconds of Panic is very very rewarding. I really felt like I gained insight into the business of football the pressure of surviving a NFL training camp. I will never look at training camp the same again. Especially for those second and third tier players struggling to make the team and/or have bounced around from team to team.

I tend to think that football players are filthy rich and I don't need to feel sorry for them. But their not super human, and for some of these players making the squad (preseason) is the difference between a six figure paycheck and a $15 an hour job at Walmart (or in the most recently publicized case- working at a cell phone store at the Aurora Mall).

This is a must read for any Bronco fan!

No comments: