Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lloyd, I'm Still Heartbroken...

First Impression Music Review
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career B+

Upon first listen to My Maudlin Career it struck me as a pretty stellar album but personally I thought it could be an even better album with a few more haunting guitars, backing vocals and other bells and whistles. Tracyanne Campbell has a lovely voice but sometimes she could use a few red bulls. Away With Murder is so laid back that it underachieves; lyrically it's a good song but Campbell never elevates the track to more than a passing daydream...

But despite any misgivings I may or may not have with Campbell's vocal intensity the majority of the album is very impressive. After several spins I found myself more and more intoxicated with this sentimental gem. My Maudlin Career is ultimately a mediation on unrequited love- bittersweet and tragically lovable. Even with the recurring theme of love gone wrong, one can't help but to feel optimistic after it's all said and done.

Favorite tracks - French Navy, James and Honey in the Sun

No comments: