Friday, May 15, 2009

California Dreaming


First Impression Music Review
Jill Sobule - California Years A-

When I listen to this record it pisses me off that lesser artists are saturating our airwaves when ultra talented, uber clever Jill Sobule is making interesting and profound music with no help from a record label. I guess the industry would rather finance the 7th place finisher of American Idol than invest in music that really matters. What the f*ck!

Much has been made about California Years which was completely financed by her fans. Had I been more on the ball I would have totally thrown a few bucks her way especially since donor names are mentioned in the liner notes. But as always I missed the boat so I gladly forked out $16 bucks (or whatever) and purchased a good old fashion hard copy (compact disc).

The vibe here almost sounds like a last hoorah; organic, introspective and at times conclusive. Her signature wit and phenomenal songwriting could easily break your heart on a rainy Sunday afternoon or make you high as a kite on a sunny Saturday when the possibilities seem endless.

Favorite tracks - Palm Springs, Nothing to Prove, Empty Glass, Spiderman & Wendell Lee

No comments: