Sunday, May 31, 2009

People Got A Lotta Nerve (A Concert Review)


Neko Case at the Ogden Theatre, May 30th 2009 C+

The boys and I attended the sold out Neko Case show last night at the Ogden Theatre. In classic rock star fashion we arrived late (missing the opening act) but just in time for Neko's set. However, our lateness relegated us to the back of the theatre (near the bar) where all night we heard the sweet sounds of Neko in one ear and drunken bar banter in the other.

Neko sang like an alt-country angel and the band played beautifully, yet the show still managed to fall short of expectation. Something was definitely missing, perhaps we were forewarned when Neko took the stage and said some about "soft rocking" our balls off. I mean, I wasn't expecting her to make my ears bleed but all night I kept waiting for that one song that would really ignite my fire or conjure up my infinite sadness. The closest I came to this sort of emotion was I Wish I Was the Moon from Blacklisted.

Naturally I expected a heavy dose of Middle Cyclone, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with the lack of Furnace Room Lullaby songs. Nevertheless, I had a great time at the show and I attribute some of the fault to us getting there late, being less than 6 feet tall, and generally having a poor view/earshot of the stage.

I'm certain that Neko would have sang "Twist the Knife" or "Mood to Burn Bridges" had she been able to see Mike, Jason, John or myself from the stage. Next time we'll indulge in less pre-show Coronas and more in overpriced Miller Lites at the venue.

3 comments:

Nobo said...

I hate when that happens - yeah, this is definitely a tour that is enhanced by sitting in assigned seats and acting like grownups. I had a much better experience because of that.

RW said...

we had assigned seats at Chatauqua, i think you would have liked that show better

Jeff said...

Not my favorite Neko show -- and the sound wasn't great -- but loved hearing "Wish I Was the Moon." This review is pretty good: http://snurl.com/j5a7i