Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Home Is Where My Horse Is (A Music Review)

First Impression Review Lyle Lovett - Natural Forces B

Lyle Lovett has been a favorite of mine for a long, long time, but I was slightly disappointed with his last two albums- 2003's My Baby Don't Tolerate and 2007's It's Not Big It's Large. Neither album is bad, but the bar was set so high with his previous works that disappointment was inevitable.

But this album raises the bar once again, despite being a little bit of a hard listen. This album doesn't jump out of the stereo like Road to Ensenada, I Love Everybody or Joshua Judges Ruth, yet it finds Lovett in fine form and stellar wit.

While initially I wasn't crazy about the tracks Whooping Crane and Bohemia. Sun and Moon and Stars stands me still every time I hear it, reminding me of the strength I get from solitude. The title track, Natural Forces was a slow burn at first and now it's one of my favorite songs, almost impossible to get out of my head (it also makes me want to drink a cold Coors Light).

Lyle Lovett is one of the greatest artist of our lifetime, Natural Forces is not his magnum opus but it is another great addition to an already legendary career.

No comments: