Monday, October 19, 2009

I Get So Emotional Baby ( A Music Review)


First impression Review
The Avett Brothers Emotionalism B-

I love the title, it indeed posses an emotional vibe. But being vulnerable also puts one at risk of coming off cheesy and/or soft...

I listened to this album several times before I got past its flaws. Yet one of the reasons I listened to it so much was because I felt like something was there- something powerful, smart and genuine.

The Ballad of Love and Hate is a track that may best encapsulate my mixed feelings about the album. In many ways it's a brilliant track, all the elements I love are in place, some of the lyrics are spectacular while some are forgettable. It's a 5 minute song that should be 2 1/2, 3 minutes max.

At times the album begins to bog down and just when I think it's about to go downhill, there's a song like Living of Love which stops me in my tracks, and gets me, well... emotional. It's also a tune that is reminiscent of Adam Duritz and would be right at home on a Counting Crows album.

Not a bad album at all, and one that will definitely tug on my heart strings on those introspective days of love and longing.

No comments: