Sunday, August 15, 2010

First Impression Music Reviews

Once again I've gotten behind on my First Impression Music Reviews. Here's the latest batch.

The Black Keys - Brothers B
Release Date: May 2010
A pleasantly surprising stylistic jaunt that's fun, infectious and sounds good in my car stereo. My only problem is that it goes on a little too long and doesn't sustain the momentum. Trim the fat (3 or 4 songs) and this is one of the best albums of the year.

Sleater-Kinney - All Hands on the Bad One A-
Release Date: May 2000
The music rocks and everything about this album is hot!
Sincerely yours,
Riot Grrrl Fanboy.

Josh Ritter - So Runs the World Away B-
Release Date: May 2010
Everything I've seen, heard and read about Josh Ritter indicates that he's an intelligent man, great musician and a genuine nice guy. But I'll be damned if he isn't making it hard to like his latest offering. It's a hard listen, a slow burn and one that I like better each time I listen. Most of the songs here are strong even though they don't always flow together as a whole. Perhaps he planned it that way because often times it's these albums (the slow burns) that are ultimately the most rewarding.

Richard Ashcroft - Human Condition C-
Release Date: February 2003
This album has moments of respectability but overall it's a bit of a bore. The first couple listens I felt like it was a cool guy trying too hard to craft a cool (commercial) album. But upon further review it's just a nice, slightly boring album that would be right at home as the background music for a contrived, melodramatic night time television drama. Check the Meaning.

The Roots - How I Got Over B
Release Date: June 2010
I started really hot on this one and then cooled a bit. Still it's a refreshing change from some of the stagnant hip hop currently dominating the airwaves.

Devo - Something For Everybody C+
Release Date: June 2010
Can you believe I bought a Devo album? Damn that People magazine for writing such a good review of their first album in ten years. Something For Everyone isn't for everyone but it is the perfect album to throw into a party mix. Here you'll find a number of upbeat, feel good tunes that's sure to bring out your inner geek.

Katie Herzig - Live in Studio: Acoustic Trio B-
Release Date: October 2009
After seeing her live this album feels like a bit of a let down but realistically it's pretty solid.

Patrick Porter - Lisha Kill B
Release Date: March 2005
I totally discovered this by accident and it ended up being quite the little treasure. I'd never heard of Patrick Porter before and haven't heard about him since but this atmospheric jewel seems to keep finding its way to my stereo.

No comments: