Saturday, August 21, 2010

All I Want Is To Feel This Way (A Concert Review)

Toad the Wet Sprocket w/ John Common & Blinding Flashes of Light @ Chautauqua Auditorium in Boulder C+

It’s easy to take for granted a band like TTWS. They're not flashy, outlandish or sexy. They're just a band with a funny name who had a respectable string of hit singles between 1991 & 1997 before breaking up in the summer of 1998.

As far as I know TTWS haven’t technically gotten back together yet they still tour together from time to time and tonight was one of those times.
I don’t dislike Toad but I was never a big fan. I have their 1991 release, Fear, on cassette and 1999's P.S. (A Toad Retrospective) on CD. Normally I'd prefer that an artist play deeper albums cuts sprinkled with their more popular songs during a live show, though tonight I was hoping for all the singles that made them radio darlings during the mid-nineties.

They opened the show with Something's Always Wrong (one of my favs) and played several songs from Fear that I'd completely forgotten about like "Before You Were Born", which didn't sound all that great.

Surprisingly two of the most disappointing tunes of the night were two of their biggest hits- All I Want and Walk on the Ocean, both sounded tired and uninspired. During the encore would've been a perfect time for Glen Phillips to come onstage alone and play a raw, acoustic version of Walk on the Ocean instead of the flat, sing-along the band did at the end.

Overall the show was OK. I sorta like Glen Phillips, he seems like a hard working, serious musician who loves making music. His solo career may not be as financially successful as TTWS but it might be just as substantial.

As for the opening band, John Common & the Blinding Flashes of Light... they seemed nice but bored me to tears.

No comments: