Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Frustrating Album by a Frustrated Artist (Music Review)

First Impression Music Review
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy B-
Release date: Novemeber 23, 2010
Whether you love him or hate him, if you're a connoisseur of hip hop music it's hard to ignore him. I've grown to like Kanye more and more with each consecutive album so I thought this would be the one to truly blow my mind, peaking after the whole Taylor Swift/public backlash. I looked forward to an album full of smart and witty lyrics, tight beats and snarky angst.

What I have after 3 listens is one ridiculously frustrating, slightly annoying, overly cluttered album with moments of brilliance that are overshadowed by gimmicky showmanship. Hey, I love Chris Rock as much as the next guy, but here I don't need his banter about p*ssy for what feels like 15 minutes on the track Blame Game.

After additional listens I hope to uncover more of the Kanye that makes him one of the few hip hop artist that always evokes me to stand up and take notice.

Favorite track - "Power"

No comments: