Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Secret Life of Water (Book Review)

Amber Flora Thomas - Eye of Water B
Publication Date: October 2005

Eye of Water is an award winning collection of poems about coming of age, coming alive and allowing life to pass through us like water; ultimately molding us into who we become. The more these poems marinate in my mind the more impressed I am by their depth, reflection and maturity.

I liked Eye of Water from the start but I also felt like something was missing... That was until I read a poem titled "In My Hand" about 1/3 of the way through the book. It jumped off the page and demanded I read it again and again. The author's observation and meditation of seemingly small details felt almost spiritual as they resonated within my imagination.

My favorite poems in this collection include: "Tree House", "Marlboros at Dusk" and "Magdalene Speaks".

No comments: