Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The King's Speech - Movie Review

The King's Speech (R) 118 minutes C+
Stammer Time

Starring Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Michael Bambon, Eve Best and Guy Pearce

Apparently King George VI was a cranky and angry man, but perhaps you would be too if you had such a debilitating vocal handicap. The King's Speech is based on the true story of a rogue speech therapist (Rush) and Albert the Duke of York (Firth). Albert reluctantly becomes King after his brother Edward VIII (Pearce) is forced to resign as a result to his lustful relationship with Wallis Simpson (Best), a twice-divorced sexpot.

The film has positioned itself to be 100% Oscar bait and appears to be winning the hearts of critics and audiences alike. Yet it might be a less enthralling to the historically challenged like myself. I found the acting to be top notch but the film a tad dry. Firth is good (liked him better as a suicidal gay teacher in last year's A Single Man) but in my eyes Rush is the real star. He steals almost every scene inwhich he appears and is easily the most pertinent and likable character.

Recommended for fans of starchy British drama's, Colin Firth and/or Geoffrey Rush.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bonus DVD Reviews
Good Hair (PG-13) 96 minutes B+
A Hairy Situation

DVD Release Date: February 2010
Starring Chris Rock

Good Hair is a light-hearted documentary that deals with some complex issues. As a person who has used lye relaxers on my hair more times than I care to admit, this exposé doesn't necessarily leave me feeling judgemental but it does make it hard to envision a scenario in which I would use those types of products again.

Ridiculous and highly entertaining.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12th and Delaware (NR) 80 minutes B-
Intersection

DVD Release Date: Debuted at Sundance January 2010/Debuted on HBO August 2010
Starring Two Clinics and a Yellow Mustang

Pro-life vs Pro-choice- That's what you have going on at the intersection of 12th and Delaware in Fort Pierce, Florida. I think this documentary film tries to portray each side fairly...? But I'll be honest, the pro-lifers in this film seem like kooks. I know this doesn't represent all pro-lifers and I tried to open my mind, but their logic still makes absolutely no sense to me.

From the directors of the 2006 documentary Jesus Camp, this film is not only sad but it also makes me angry. Yet still, I think it's important to see what's really happening around us even if we don't agree. This is a great example of lives being altered forever regardless of where you stand on the issue.

No comments: