Sunday, October 20, 2013

What's up Yeezus? (Album Review)

Released June 2013 
Kanye West - Yeezus B+

The first track from Yeezus is called "On Sight" and it is on point! The song, fully loaded with beats by Daft Punk, jumps out of the speakers and "gets this bitch shakin' like Parkinson's." Yes, this album is lewd, angry and neurotic...  I own all of West's previous studio albums, yet known of them grabbed me with such intensity and intrigue as Yeezus, his sixth studio album.  However, the downside is that the album's first four tracks are so strong I felt like the rest of the album fell off a cliff. Luckily, after repeated listens I got my groove back for the second half of the album.  Turns out, I really dig "Blood on the Leaves," which features a heavy sample of Nina Simone's "Strange Fruit."  I also like the album's closing track, the old school-ish "Bound 2."  Needless to say, Kanye isn't for everyone.  But, it's hard to dispute his genius. Favorite tracks: New Slaves, Black Skinhead, On Sight and Blood on the Leaves.

No comments: