Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Daylight for the Broncos & Rockies

It has been a fairly uneventful week. I was working on a couple posts that never materialized, including one about Duncan Sheik's 2002 album, Daylight. It has taken me 5 years to realize that Daylight isn't just a catchy pop album. My theory (in a nutshell) is that it is a concept album about a deteriorated relationship, the reevaluation of self, and the rebirth of a new beginning.

I finished reading Lyrics of A Rap Revolutionary by Chuck D, it's a must read for hardcore Public Enemy fans, Hip Hop historians and/or aficionados. I also bought the new Woody Allen collection of short stories, Mere Anarchy, Rufus Wainright's latest, Release the Stars, and Athlon's Football preview 2007.

In the football preview it predicts the Broncos to finish 2nd to the Chargers in the AFC West, and not make the playoffs for the second consecutive season. It also picks Dallas vs New England in the Superbowl.

After scanning Athlon's piece about the Broncos, it further magnified the realization that Jay Cutler holds the key to the Broncos season. On paper the Broncos look like a very strong team, assuming they can avoid key injuries and psychological pitfalls of a tragic offseason. But I wonder if Culter is really ready to lead this team to the promise land. He's had a hand full of starts and an entire offseason to absorb Shanahan's offense... hopefully that is good enough.

That preview was also a reminder of how awful the Raiders were last year. Andrew Walter threw 3 TD's and 13 Int's last season, while Aaron Brooks tossed a pathetic 3 TD's and 8 Int's. Talk about QB issues... Yeah, they drafted JaMarcus Russell but I expect there to be a 1 to 2 year learning curve.

I did have a nice visit with my niece and my brother when they came over on Saturday, and the Rockies game Saturday night was most enjoyable. The Rockies are playing well and I think they may have turned the corner. I'm not saying their going to win the NL West but they are finally showing signs of a competitive ball club.

"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."
- Charles Schulz

No comments: