Monday, September 3, 2007

2 Days in Paris - Movie Review

2 Days in Paris Not Rated 96 minutes C
Starring Julie Delpy, Adam Goldberg, Daniel Brühl, Marie Pillet, Albert Delpy, Aleksia Landeau, Adan Jodorowsky, and Alexandre Nahon

2 Days in Paris is essentially the brainchild of Julie Delpy. She is writer, directer, producer, composer, and star of the film. Delpy is a NYU film grad and perhaps best known for her role in 1995's Before Sunrise. She has also stared in films such as An American Werewolf in Paris, Broken Flowers, The Hoax, and Before Sunset.

When I think of Paris and actresses, I think of Julie Delpy. In this, her latest vehicle, she has definitely channeled her inner Woody Allen. 2 Day in Paris is about a neurotic New York couple who hopes to end their European vacation on a high note. After a somewhat disappointing week in Venice, the couple has decided to spend the last two days of their vacation in Paris before heading back home to New York.

Marion (Delpy) is a French photographer and Jack (Goldberg) is her American boyfriend. While in Paris, Jack is meeting Marion's family for the first time. Jack doesn't speak french, but because of his relationship with Marion, he's able to decipher a little of the language. Jack soon learns that the language isn't the only barrier in Paris. During the two days in Paris, Jack has numerous encounters with Marion's ex-lovers.

The film has all the makings of a brilliant romantic comedy/drama, but it never seems to deliver. The story is centered around Delpy and Goldberg who are great, but some of the dialogue feels contrived, and the toggle between characters speaking french and speaking english left me feeling frustrated at times.

That being said, the film did end with heavy and heart felt deliberations about relationships and breakups. The kind of dialogue that is very relatable for many and very real. Ultimately I was a little disappointed with the film, but there were moments worth remembering.

In other ramblings ...................

Sorry for the delay between posts. It has been a very eventful and busy last couple of weeks. More stuff than I care to share right now, but I hope and pray that it all ends up fine. Sometimes the hardest part of my day is fighting my own darkness, and other times I think that a combination of unorganization, self doubt and poor work habits have put me in a psychological hole that I can't dig myself out of. I consistently feel like I need a day or two to just do stuff- homework, house stuff, cleaning, writing, errands, etc... Yet, I also feel like I need a day or two to just do nothing. Nothing being- reading, watching television, cooking, eating, laying around, surfing the web, watching films, etc...

I'm also a little disappointed in the latest Suzanne Vega album- Beauty & Crime. I've listened to it 3 or 4 times so far, and it hasn't really grabbed me. It's too bad because I like Suzanne (I've also met/talked to her in person), maybe it will grow on me later. The album has received a lot of positive reviews, and Suzanne once again subtly hints at her inner vixen (evident by the album cover and accompanying artwork/liner notes of the cd).

Here comes another week people. Take care, and hopefully I'll have another review and/or post in a few days.

"Honesty has ruined more marriages than infidelity"
-Charles McCabe

No comments: