Saturday, September 15, 2007

Hey Monkey, Where you Been?

SO MUCH is happening in Curtis world. There is no need to bore you with the details, but I'll be sure to give you the low down once everything is finalized. A combination of varies projects and tasks has kept me busy and unfortunately away from the cineplex. Tomorrow I am looking forward to a day of rest, relaxation and football, and Wednesday I'm looking forward to a night out at the ball park- Rockies vs Dodgers.

I bought the new Lyle Lovett album today, but right now I'm listening to 50 Cent. I've been craving some funky, bass thumpin, hardcore beats lately. I got a copy of the latest Guru album earlier this week, it's ok, but I don't think I've fully digested that one yet. Rarely any more do I find a hip hop album that really moves me from beginning to end (Although, the new Talib Kweli is tight and at times he shows signs of becoming the next rap luminary).

I remember when rap albums use to rock my world and literally change the way I think and feel about life. Albums like Public Enemy's It takes a Nation of Millions, Boogie Down Productions - Ghetto Music: The Blue Print of Hip Hop, De la Soul - 3 feet High and Rising, Ice T- Power and O.G. Original Gangster, NWA - Straight outta Compton, and so on... I was much younger then and perhaps more impressionable, but that music said something.

Last week I ran over a prairie dog. Not on purpose... I swerved and tried to miss him but he ran right into my path- crunch! I felt so bad, but what could I do? I felt like I should get out of the car and do something... I slowed down almost to a full stop, looked in my rearview mirror... I felt like a criminal. But there was nothing I could do... I wondered who would clean up the pile of blood and fur? I wondered if the prairie dog threw himself in front of my car on purpose? I tried to look at the bright side and thought that maybe I just provided a bird or a couple squirrels with a hearty meal.

I found $26 dollars today. I was so happy! I guess it makes up for the pop machine at work ripping me off on Friday. I put $1.40 in the machine for 2 diet Dr. Peppers, but instead I got 2 regular Dr. Peppers. I will not drink regular soda any more, it's like drinking carbonated sugar water. I was so pissed, I wanted to violently shake the pop machine... I wanted to take those 2 regular Dr. Peppers and throw them at the pop machine... Take that you sonofabitch! But I didn't. I just walked away cursing underneath my breath.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
- Mark Twain

2 comments:

Michael said...

I think you made this point already, but the rap albums you listed changed the way you "think and feel about life" did the same for a lot of people, myself included, and the point is that they were supposed to. All of those were thoughtful and, on either a local or global level, politically charged. Hearing most of these in my adolescence woke my white, suburban ass up and gave me a window into a world I had no idea existed.

It's a long road from "I got so much trouble on my mind" to "I got my mind on my money and my money on my mind".

Michael said...

It was also a convenient coincidence that I was listening to Fugazi's "Red Medicine" as I read your post.