Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Blueberry Nights - Movie Review

My Blueberry Nights (PG-13) 90 minutes C
Dizzy up the Girl

Starring Jude Law, Norah Jones, Natalie Portman, Rachel Weisz, and David Strathairn

The first 10 or 15 minutes of My Blueberry Nights left much to be desired. As I dropped buttered popcorn down my shirt, I worried that this might be a long (and messy) 90 minutes. The film starts with few words and several out of focus mood seeking camera shots and angles. Norah Jones isn't much of an actress, but then again, she doesn't need to be. She's surrounded by a phenomenal team of actors and they do most of the work. Jones just needed to look quizzical and heartbroken... which she did.

My Blueberry Nights is all about heartbreak. Elizabeth (Norah Jones) leaves town to escape the memory of a recent break up and to do some soul searching. She encounters heartbreak and/or sadness everywhere she goes, but through this misery she somehow finds herself and regains her mojo.

This film looks independent, feels independent, and sounds independent (nice soundtrack)... but at times I thought it was trying too hard to be independent. Sometimes the film lacked a natural sensibility and flow. Rachel Weisz is divine, but in this film her character feels a little contrived. My Blueberry Nights isn't bad, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

Diet Aftertaste
I went 11 days without drinking soda, and ironically I gained 3 pounds. Most of which I probably gained this past weekend. RW and I went to a wedding- buffet style reception dinner, open bar (lots of beer consumed), and Carl's Jr. across the street from our hotel (munchies). Then I proceeded to get up the next morning and devour a breakfast buffet... still cool!

Plus, like RW said, all that vitamin water and juice I drank for 11 days was not calorie free like diet soda. Anyway, I still plan to cut back on diet sodas but I won't abandon them completely.

O.G. Original Gangster
This is one of my favorite albums and one of the most influential rap albums of all time. "I find Ice-T to be the dopest, flyist, O.G. pimp hustler gangster player hardcore muthaf*cker living today (from First Impression)".

No comments: