Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Old 97's "Blame Gravity" in Denver

Old 97's, Hayes Carll & I Love Math - Live at the Gothic Theater, June 10, 2008

There is no doubt that the Old 97's put on one helluva show Tuesday night at the Gothic Theater- high energy, great sound, and plenty of sing-along/fan favorite tunes. It was one of the most enthusiastic and fun loving audiences I've been around in a long time. Fans of the band definitely made their presences felt, and the overall vibe was "fun" and "good times". Even Hayes Carll and I Love Math (the two opening bands) were impressive.

But I have to admit, I'm not your average concert goer. When I attend a rock show it's almost like I'm seeking a religious experience. When I see Morrissey live it almost brings tears to my eyes, and every time I see a Sonic Youth show it's absolutely hypnotic.

Some bands I could see over and over again... but the Old 97's is not one of those bands (I've seen them twice now). I like and respect these guys, but I need (and was hoping for) a little more pain with their passion. It's like watching Spider-Man 2- a well done and very entertaining film. When you'd rather watch Mystic River, which is equally as good and packs more of a emotional punch.

Old 97's are a sharp, entertaining and respectable live act, but not a cathartic one (at least not for me... different strokes).

"You've always made the mistake of being yourself"
- Eugene Ionesco

No comments: