Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Revolution Girl Style (Feminism Rocks!)

Bikini Kill is not for the faint of heart, but it is this week’s album of the week. Bikini Kill is one of my favorite band names of all time, and The Singles is a decent overview of the band’s catalog.

Lead singer Kathleen Hanna (who I recently discovered is married to Ad Rock of the Beastie Boys) is a very talented writer, artist and activist, as well as a pivotal figure in the Riot Grrrl /feminist rock movement. I admit that I don’t know much about Hanna outside of Bikini Kill, but during my brief research I’m finding out that she is a multi-layered and inspiring individual.

I don’t own any Le Tigre albums, nor am I familiar with her solo project released under the name Julie Ruin in 1997… but I’m very intrigued. I'll also be sure to check out Don't Need You: The Herstory of Riot GRRRL, a documentary about the Riot Grrrl movement featuring rare footage of Bikini Kill.

Hanna has created, published, and/or written numerous zines, and according to Wikipedia she has also taught art at a NYU grad school. I look forwarding to learning more about her, and if any of you listen to Le Tigre, feel free to send me your recommendations (your favorite LeTigre album or ep).

"That girl thinks she's the queen of the neighborhood, I got news for you- She is!"
- Bikini Kill

No comments: