Friday, January 2, 2009

Best Music of 2008... yeah!


It's that time! My annual "best of" music list... my favorite albums from 2008

10. The Purple Tape CD - Lisa Loeb
Sometimes favorite doesn't always mean best. Skinny Can't Dance reissued this back in January 2008 (with a bonus interview disc). She's one of my biggest all time celebrity crushes, I love the acoustic guitar, the voice, and yes... the cutesy lyrics. Guilty as charged.

9. Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings - Counting Crows
I admit this is not their best but it does provide a few gems.

8. For Emma, Forever Ago - Bon Iver
Quiet, emotional and a great story behind the music.

7. Viva La Vida & Prospekt's March EP - Coldplay
Viva La Vida is a very fashionable pick but I am amazed how well this album works as a whole. I'd rather listen to the entire album than individual songs. The EP is a nice accompaniment.

6. Third - Portishead
This is totally mood music... it's good to have Beth Gibbons and company back in the mix.

5. Stay Positive - The Hold Steady
I don't understand how Diddlefinger can be sick of these guys? This is a dashing follow up to Boys and Girls in America.

4. The Slip - NIN
Trent slips in another great album - pure genius.

3. Heartbreaks and 808s - Kanye West
It took a few listens but this is his best album to date.

2. Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
I'm not your favorite lover- Cave & the Bad Seeds deliver more news from nowhere.

1. Dear Science - TV on the Radio
Black rock is back! The best concert I saw all year and a great album!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noteworthy:
Beck - Modern Guilt = good album, feels light, bouncy and summery
Cassandra Wilson - Loverly = a pleasant album
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges = a total mixed bag... a head scratcher
Tracy Chapman - Our Bright Future = growing on me more and more
Darius Rucker - Learn to Live = a couple good songs
Juliana Hatfield - How to Walk Away = a pretty good album, didn't listen to it enough
Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Cardinology = didn't listen to it enough
Amy Ray - Didn't it Feel Kinder = A little inconsistent, but better than expected
Matthew Sweet - Sunshine Lies = still growing on me
Erykah Badu - New Amerykah = never grabbed me like I hoped it would, some nice moments though
The Cure - 4:13 Dream = I love these guys, just missed the top 10
Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers = I was a little disappointed at first, but it's actually pretty good.
REM - Accelerate = I like the pensive and introspective albums. This one rocks, and barely missed my top 10.

No comments: