Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Cruise Biography & A.C. Newman Gets Guilty


Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography by Andrew Morton A

Yes- I am a Tom Cruise fan... and Eyes Wide Shut is one of my all time favorite films. But I didn't buy this audio book because I thought Andrew Morton was going to shed a positive light on Cruise, nor did I think this book would be particularly factual. But I hoped it would be interesting, entertaining, and provide some insight into my favorite Tom Cruise films.

This unauthorized biography wasn't as tabloid trashy as I was afraid it might be, although Morton does take his share of cheap shots at the Hollywood star; establishing him as a paranoid, controlling, Scientology freak.

But that being said, the book was extremely entertaining! I enjoyed learning more about Cruise's projects and endeavors, especially Eyes Wide Shut. Matter of fact, I was so jazzed after reading about the fervor and hard work that went into EWS that I bought the screen play and novel it was based on (free at paperbackswap.com).

Listen, I can't say that this book made me think any better of Cruise. But it didn't make me think any less of him. Scientology on the other hand is some weird sh*t (no offense), although I did read elsewhere that Morton's claims about the religion are mostly false (I hope so because it sounded kind of cult"ish").

Like many great men, artists, and inspirations - Cruise may be grossly misunderstood, especially the whole couch jumping thing which I think was completely overblown. The guy was in love, and I guess no one has ever done anything crazy in the name of love...

Andrew Morton, you might be a liar or maybe you're not. Either way, you wrote one hell of an entertaining book... at least for someone like me who is willing to consider both sides and is intrigued by Cruise and all his intensity and idiosyncrasies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Impression Music Review
A.C. Newman - Get Guilty A

As far as I'm concerned this is the first great album of 2009. More cohesive than his last solo outing 2004's Slow Wonder, Get Guilty feels like a mini triumph from the first track- There Are Maybe Ten Or Twelve.

At first I agreed with Diddlefinger that Guilty doesn't have the "pop" sensibility of Slow Wonder, but upon a second and third listen, I might take Like A Hitman, Let A Dancer, Prophets, and All Of My Days And All Of My Days Off over anything on Slow Wonder (...maybe?).

Diddle, put on Get Guilty, crank that sh*t up and you too will become a believer. It grabbed me right away but for you it might be a slow wonder.

1 comment:

Nobo said...

I agree with A.C. review. I'm going to see him on March 25th... And Neko solo on April 24th. Yes, it's bitter cold here, but the music scene doesn't get any better than Chicago.