Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'd Rather Be With An Animal (a book review)


Philip Roth - The Dying Animal B-

This is my first foray into Philip Roth's writing, and I sense that this novel wasn't an ideal introduction for a Roth newbie like myself. But the subject matter of lust and longing was right up my alley.

There are no words to describe the magnetic pull of a sexual creature like Consuela, and Roth does a good job of (purposely) objectifying her and exposing the idiosyncrasies of his main character, David Kepesh.

I would've liked to have known more about the Carolyn character, but as in real life, certain people come into our lives and disappear without closure. The ending is a little uneven but overall this was a decent read and I wouldn't be opposed to reading more Roth in he future. I can't wait until the film version of this book arrives on DVD.

"Sex isn't just friction and shallow fun. Sex is also the revenge on death."
- Philip Roth, The Dying Animal

No comments: